Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Radiation Safety Training


A view of downtown Montreal from the McGill campus

Another nice and sunny day in Montreal. I don't have to go to work today because I have to attend the radiation safety training course offered by McGill University. It is a mandatory course for all personnel that would use radioactive materials at work.


Safety office safely in disguise

It took me quite sometime to find the building where the course would take place. Probably because I didn't expect the safety office would be at a building that looks like a regular housing apartment. It seems like the university desperately needs extra space for expansion.

The course started from 9:30am and ended at 4:45pm. I took a similar safety course several years ago at UBC. I have to say that the UBC radiation safety course is way more demanding. UBC's safety course exam is closed book and has a practical session. McGill's course only has one full day of lecture and an open book exam in the end. It is a piece of cake compare to UBC.

I was surprised by how small the class was. There were only 15 people in the class. I am assuming this is because it is still August and a lot of new students and researcher still hasn't arrived campus. Some students seem to be quite stressed by the material at the beginning due to the physics and chemistry component of the course. I am sure they feel much more relaxed after realizing those materials are only a very small part of the exam.

Back to work tomorrow! Hopefully I will get my novels tomorrow through the courier. Maybe I will write up my thoughts about Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars (星界の紋章/星界の戦旗) novel after I finished reading them sometimes. I've been longing to discuss and share my thoughts about many things (Hobbies, interest, science, politics) on a blog for a long time.

No comments: