Monday, September 8, 2008

Hong Kong Legislative Assembly Election

Some of my thoughts:

-I am pleased to hear the pro-democracy camp (泛民主派) has managed to keep 23 seats in the assembly. This will at least allows the pro-democracy parties to veto controversial government bills such as article 23.



Dude, don't give any honorable excuses to make yourself feel better.
You know you are just too lazy to bother to vote
.


-I am disappointed at the low voter turnout. Only 45.2% of the voters voted in this election. I find some of the response from the non-voters very laughable. If you are not happy with any of the candidates, you should at least cast a blank ballot to show your dissatisfaction. It is a citizen's responsiblity to vote in a democratic society. If you don't care about voting and voicing your opinion, maybe you should move to the mainland, where one doesn't have to "worry" about voting.



Either HK people are really forgetful or they fear revenge from the Beijing government


-I can't believe Regina Ip (
葉劉淑儀) is elected. Do some people forget about her attitudes on pushing article 23? She doesn't seem to regret it even today. I would never consider supporting a candidate that would support or not attempt to stop the passing of article 23.

-The pro-democracy camp should consider merging the parties together into one uniform party. This will helps strenghts the votes and will allow them to gain more seats. Of course in reality it is easier to be said then done...


It is too bad that I can't vote in this election because I am in Canada. Hopefully I will be back to vote on 2017 when Hong Kong will have universal suffrage for electing the chief executive. Meanwhile, Canada is going to have an election on Oct 14th. I wonder if Stephen Harper will win a majority government? I need to research before I cast my ballot on the 14th.


No comments: